Molly's Country Memories

Molly's Country Memories

The memories and happening in the everyday life of a country girl

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Vintage Thingie Thursday

Well look a here it's Thurs. all ready and that means it's time for vintage Thurs at Colorado Lady's place...
Tonight, because of all the bad weather we're having the loss of lights is heavy on my mind, I just hate it when the lights go off...lol..I am a 65 year young Lady who has never once in my entire life slept in the dark...ok, ok, so I'm a big chicken,...lol...but now remember I was raised in New Orleans where there were street lights at night that shown bright into the house. When we moved to the farm house, we had electric lights, some of the first in our area, I must say...and we always had a night light for Shirley, then I got married and we lived in town, street lights again
:-) , then the kids came along and we keep a night light on for them, by then I was hooked...the lights go off and I freak out...lol..DH knows to find that lamp quick. He keeps a flash light by the bed....poor D, he puts up with alot.
OK, you say, what does this have to do with VTT, well my VT is my kerosene lamps, 4 of them to be exact. The are very old so they fit this post just fine....This little beauty belonged to my MIL, she had it ever since she got married in 1938, you can tell these are used because I need to clean the soot from the last outage...This one belonged to my Mom, I remember using it when I was a teenager. She gave it to me right after I had Chuck, before she moved to TX.
This little pair I bought in the late 70's, when a local Drug Store was selling out and they were marked down to 75% off, see I've always been a bargin hunter. These hung on my bedroom wall for years until I knocked the one on the right off while dusting them and broke the base. (can't you tell how lopsided it is) believe it or not that heavy base broke when it hit the floor, but the globe landed on the bed and didn't even crack. I decided to paint them and just use them for decoration, but if I get desperate enough I will use the one on the left to see by...lol...
I HOPE YOU ENJOYED MY VINTAGE THINGIES! SEE YOU NEXT WEEK! FOR MORE WONDERFUL VINTAGE THINGIES VISIT COLORADO LADY!

27 comments:

  1. I hope your lights stay on..:). And I love those lanterns...we had some for just such a use when I was much younger..how I wish I had them still.Happy VTT, and hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lamps are so pretty and I bet they will come in handy when the lights go off!
    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so familiar, it was all we had in Outback Australia when I was a kid, no electricity- you have quite the collection, brings back memories! I hated the dark when I was a child but now I only like a nightlight when DH is away!Keeps the boogey man out,lol!
    Roslyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lamps reminds me of my time staying with my late grandparents and great grandparents.. we always have these lamps all over the house, standby in case the electric went off.. thanks for sharing and Happy VTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no. You reminded me of a beautiful lamp that I seem to have misplaced. It was quite similar to the second one, your moms. I need to go find that.
    Thanks for the memories and here's hoping your days and nights (?) are filled with light (?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice collection. Love the story about the lights. Back in the 70's I thought about collecting kersoene lamps but never did. I only had one which has been given away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beuatiful lamps. Did you learn your lesson: dusting is not good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morning girl...love the old lamps...I have one that belonged to my hubby's mother! I have always kept a night light in the kitchen and love to have soft street lights shining thru the blinds alittle at night..I remember as a little girl when I'd stay with my grandparents...they lived in the country and come night time...you couldn't see your hand in front of your face....you'd have to beat me with a stick if you thought I was going outside! lol lol Especially the way my aunts & uncles love to tell ghost stories...girl I wouldn't even sleep by myself! lol lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your lamps! There is something very elegant about kerosene lamps which really were prosaic things-not just the decorative bases either but the whole shape!

    Hope the lights don't go off...its always such an ooph moment when they do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS. Love the music...I can't leave!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed seeing your lamps. I have a couple and one is really pretty...clear but with hobnails. I'll blog about it sometime.
    I have little night lights all over my house...not one bit afraid of the dark..just HATE walking into a totally dark room!
    Thanks so much for sharing..come by and see my vintage thingy today..You will like me because I am OLDER than you!! hee hee..I love people that are older than I am!
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you don't lose your electricity--because not only will it be dark, you won't be able to blog!!! Thanks for sharing your oil lamps and have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a city girl born and bred and never had a kerosene lamp ..... odd. But yours are beauties!

    Terry S

    ReplyDelete
  14. And by the way, I love your pretty vintage pictures on the sidebar. Where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Kerosene Lanterns are really nice, but what I like better is the photo of the 2 boys in the horse. I have a photo like that too, my Dad and his Brother from the 1930's. Great Memories since they are both gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, your kerosene lanterns are neat - I have a few, and some barn lamps as well. Nice to tuck in a display, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a good fit for your weather last night. Even though they are vintage, you still get the good use out of them. Very appropriate!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved the post. I have some of the old latterns also, and I keep oil and wicks in them because you never know when you might need one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope your lights stayed on! Love the old kerosene lamps :0)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love them! I, too, have memories of my parents pulling out the kerosene lamps every time the lights went out (in the 60's)! As a kid, it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know I used to be afraid of the dark too, until one time my step grandma told me that was just silly. She said if it was pitch dark, and something was going to get you, if you left a light on, they could see you. If it was pitch dark, you were hidden from their view....that cured me from leaving a light on!!

    Loved looking at your vintage oil lamps. They are a god send when the lights go off!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am a city girl through and through! Keep the lights on I say! I love your hurricane lamps! ~Kelly

    unDeniably Domestic

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your lanterns are lovely. I see lots of them at auctions, but I just can't get started collecting one more thing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's a relief off my mind that you are okay! Been worried...so many of my bloggie friends live in these hard-hit areas...hope the lights stay on good and strong! I'm a chicken too, I burn a candle in the fireplace every night just in case...one of those holy candles that lasts about a week...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really love that first lamp! It's fun when you have a personal connection to those sorts of things too. I hope your lights didn't go out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. those lamps are great...and I love the everyone needs a friend! AWWWW
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love old kerosene lamps and yours are verry special..my fav is the first one :)

    ReplyDelete

Little sweet memories whispered..