Molly's Country Memories

Molly's Country Memories

The memories and happening in the everyday life of a country girl

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday and treasured memories

My friend Coloradolady's at http://coloradolady.blogspot.com/ has started a VTT, check out her site by clicking on the link above.
Today I want to share with you a very treasured item and some precious memories. It is a little chair my Grandfather made for my Mother when she turned 1 yr old, back in 1916. I don't have a picture of Mom then, but I did have one when she was a little older, but not in this chair. The picture of my Grandparents was taken in 1900. At this time they had buried 4 sons before they reached 1 yr old and only 1, Uncle Reggie (the child in the picture) had survived. Times where hard in the 1890s in rual MS. and it was not uncommon to lose children at a young age. In 1901 they moved from the small town of Silver Creek to a larger area of Brookhaven 45 miles west. In 1908 they were blessed with another Son, my Uncle Norman, he was very sickly and had to be carried around on a pillow for 6 mos., but they were closer to a Dr and he survived. And then in 1915 my Mom was born, my Grandfather was the happiest man in the world, he had his little girl and she was healthy. She became his little angel, he doted on her. Untill the day he died in 1950 she was his special little girl. And no one better mess with her. You didn't want to get that Irish temper stirred up....lol...I think he was a rather handsome man...lol...
You can see that the chair still has the original cowhide bottom and the rawhide strips used to sew it up. The bottom is in bad shape because it was in storage for years and the cowhide wasn't treat to keep it from getting dry. The little slats for the back have been lost along the way. I recieved this in 1985. And have cherished it ever since. I can just see him making this chair and the love he put into it. And I can see her sitting in it beside him in front of the fireplace in winter and on the long front porch under the big Oak tree in the summer. I forgot to mention when Granddaddy was 17, he jumped a train that ran through Silver Creek to Natchez on the west side of the state to visit his brother, (they had been seperate at an early age he was 5, when both their parents died.) And he slipped under the train and his left leg was severed. Despite the loss he still made a good living for his family, he was a Drayman and had several Employees.
I always loved to sit on his wooden leg.
I love this chair and will not redo it or change one single thing GD did. I have it sitting in my living room with a Baby Doll my Hubby gave me for my BD 5 yrs ago.

22 comments:

  1. Molly, what a wonderful treasure you have there. I wouldn't do anything to it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful post..thank you for sharing a little of your family history :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely chair and interesting story!! I enjoyed visiting your blog this evening. Take care~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's not vintage, that's antique! And such a precious family heirloom. I wouldn't fix it or change it at all, either! You are very lucky to still have it in its original condition/parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What precious memories. I'm so happy for you that you have this treasure. Happy VTT and have a most wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I agree, leave the chair as is...what a wonderful story too. I hope you have a great week and thanks for sharing this heartfelt story of your grandfather..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molly ... what a terrific story, and how special to have such a piece of your family history in your home!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    Terry S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful family heirloom you have! What lovely family photos-they made a very handsome couple.

    Love the redwork blocks too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful treasure and priceless too! Thank you for sharing that and a bit of family history as well.
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my stars, what a wonderful story to go along with this post! The chair, with all that history, is worth more as a treasure to your family, untouched, that's for sure!
    Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite a treasure you have there!

    Smiles,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow that chair is old! cool! will you get it restored?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a treasured piece you have in that little chair. It means so much when you know where something comes from and what it's memories are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing that bit of family history. I learn something new all the time about the family. I don't remember seeing the chair. I am so glad that you have it and have preserved it. It is a treasure... just the way it is.
    Love ya, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful chair and photos. It makes me smile to know the past is still being preserved. Hey I love your "ugly" baby too. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a chair that is almost a carbon copy. I put a cushion over the cracked leather seat. But I will not touch mine either.
    Happy Vintage Thingies Thursday
    from Roberta Anne

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved reading about the chair, your mom, and your grandparents! What wonderful family history and pictures!
    Enjoyed my visit--as always,
    Blessings to You,
    Claudia O.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful family history story! I hope you have this written down or on CD to pass it
    along to the next generation!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have old, worn treasures like this also and I refuse to "repair" the past as well. That's a beautiful chair you have and what precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the story and the chair. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have some real family history there mrjorie, don't you just love it?
    Roslyn

    ReplyDelete

Little sweet memories whispered..