Molly's Country Memories

Molly's Country Memories

The memories and happening in the everyday life of a country girl

Friday, February 19, 2010

Santa Claus is coming to town.

It's Friday and time to visit D Dzines....where DeeDee is hosting Art work Friday. And 
I'm also posting this on Lit and Laundry for Finished for Friday 
 It was to say the least, a very messy process, but I think it turned out ok.
 After I let it dry for a couple of hours, I sanded down the rough spots and painted it
 Next came a coat of clear sealer, I added this before adding the stain, so I could control the amount of stain that stuck to it, if you put the stain just over the raw painted surface you can get too much stain in some places and not enough in other places when you start wiping it off. This just gives it a more even look, not blotchy
 The finished project, frankly I didn't think it turned out very good (I used to never think anything I did was good) but a lady at the Christmas show loved it enough to pay we $25.00 for it. She was happy and I was happy to make some money off that ugly thing and didn't have to bring it back home...
 Ok, I apology for doing a post on Santa in the middle of Feb. Promise to do better next time.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Molly,

    I just popped over from Finished for Friday.

    Love the idea of a Christmas post in February. You're helping everyone gear up for Christmas 2010.

    I like your Santa and think he's got a lot of character. I bet the lady who bought him loves him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful rolly-polly Santa! I am one of those people that could keep her Santas out year round,(if the family would let me-LOL) so I loved seeing a Santa photo in February!!!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly you need to give yourself more credit. I think he turned out great! You have such a gift! I wish I had just a pinch of the talent you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Mr. Santa is so impressive. Thank you for showing him to all of us. Your talent is in so many different areas of art. I stand in awe.

    Blessings, Gwyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he is very cute! Whether I think it is good or not, I just can not sell the things I make...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're always critical of our own creations, but the proof is in the $25 in your pocket. He's great. The gourd gave him fun proportions. His face is excellent. Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday! As you can see, I have a Christmas item up today too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Molly, you never cease to amaze me! What a excellent project, Santa's are for every time in the year! Thanks for sharing!
    I had a quick question for you... Where did you find your acrylic paint holder?
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your Santa much more than you do! He looks very jolly. You must be a perfectionist. It's good that you are experimenting with a new artform and if you keep it up, you are bound to perfect the technique and be able to please yourself too. There was a lady in my art class who painted gourds... no clay, just painted the gourd using her imagination to make it come alive. You might like that if you don't like the clay. And yes, Fridays come too quickly to always have a new piece of art... art takes a lot of time, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Molly, you are quite talented! This Santa looks like one of those pricey wood carved Folk Santas! I agree, you need to give yourself more credit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my gosh, I gasp when I saw him, he is wonderful. You did a terrific job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He turned out great. Glad to know about that paper clay.

    ReplyDelete

Little sweet memories whispered..