Molly's Country Memories

Molly's Country Memories

The memories and happening in the everyday life of a country girl

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Got a question

I was wondering if any of my Bird watching friends or really anyone could tell me what this bird is...It has been coming around the feeders for several days but is extremely shy, the lest bit of movement and he is gone..so this picture isn't real good, his body is so black that he is almost a shiny blue, but from his shoulders up he has a brown head....click on picture to enlarge it...
Any help would be appreciated.

12 comments:

  1. Molly I have always heard them called brown headed black birds. I think I have also heard them called Cow birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Susie is right - - - is this bird about the size-ish of a Robin? If so, they are called Cow Birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they're both right---they're the ones with the reputation of sneaking their eggs into other birds' nests for them to raise.

    Is this it?
    http://www.wbu.com/chipperwoods/photos/cowbird.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the picture Racheld, that sure is it. Nasty little thing ain't it.
    Thanks Susie and Keetha, you were right it is the brown headed cowbird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, Brown-headed Cowbird.
    I have several, but not too much this time of year here in KY.
    I first noticed them this summer oddly enough, after my neighbor put four cow in his yard. Strange but true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know what kind of bird that was, but I didn't want the day to go by without saying -
    HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY ♥
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those people are just plain silly. There is no way that bird could be a cow!! Really.
    Smooches from pooches,
    BabyRocketDog and Hootie

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Molly, I don't get to see birds a lot, so I can't comment on your question, but I like the post, since it's so rare for me to see. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brown-headed Cowbird for sure...we have tons and tons of them..they make a liquid sound.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, sorry. I just don't know my birds.

    ReplyDelete

Little sweet memories whispered..