Molly's Country Memories

Molly's Country Memories

The memories and happening in the everyday life of a country girl

Monday, March 22, 2010

A-Z Monday... I is for Sweet Iced Tea

This week I am joining the meme A-Z on Monday ~~ blogging our way through the alphabet~~ All About Food! at Unglazed, check out her blog for other foods starting with I this week...
Picture from the web...
Southern Sweet Iced Tea
3 Family sized tea bags
a pinch baking soda (about 1/4 teaspoon) (sorry meant to added soda is optional)
1 cup of sugar
2 cups of water
Directions
In the south we make the best sweet iced tea you'll ever taste.I also like to put a slice of lemon in my tea...
Place the two cups water in a pot add a pinch of baking soda to the water and add 3 family sized tea bags. Bring to boil, remove from heat and cover. Allow to sit for at least 10-15 minutes. Add the sugar to the hot tea and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Then fill remaining pitcher with cold water.

The soda takes out the bitterness and darkens the tea....this small amount doesn't change the taste.

9 comments:

  1. We southerners do like our sweet tea. I've never heard of putting the soda in it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to A~Z FOODS on Monday..
    as a Southerner,making tea was an art..
    and me being the queen of shortcuts,
    could simplify any recipe..
    now when you put the water on to boil,
    add the sugar.!!
    will dissolve on its own,
    no stirring needed.
    soda is OPTIONAL..
    when the water boils,
    add the tea bags,
    cover and remove from the heat!
    let steep..
    pour over icecubes in pitcher,
    adding enough cold water to fill.
    pour yourself a glass and enjoy!
    laughing smiles..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Susie we do love our tea, I make 2-3 gallon pitchers a day around my house..can you imagine how much I made when 3 boys were home...lol...
    Loui, I tried adding sugar to boiling water and it changed the taste of the tea..or so DH said. Made it to candy like..men.
    We like sweet tea, but not syrupy tea, DH's Mom always used 1 1/2-2 cups sugar per gal. was always thirsty after drinking her tea...I have cut ours to 1/2 -1 cup.
    Thanks for the tips.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my best friends growing up had a mother from North Carolina. She made the best iced tea in the world. I will never forget it, or be able to duplicate it.

    Thanks for the recipe. Now maybe I can!
    Happy Monday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly - I had never heard of baking soda either. And I am a southerner (by living in the south), but have to admit I like my tea without sugar!

    (Hugs),
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Monday Molly-
    Wow that is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you do it right! Obviously we were about on the same wavelength this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, I am still learning new things about iced tea!! Never knew about the baking soda trick. Happy A-Z Monday and welcome to the group!

    ReplyDelete

Little sweet memories whispered..