Molly's Country Memories

Molly's Country Memories

The memories and happening in the everyday life of a country girl

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia...

Well my friends I want y'all to know that I have realized I don't know myself as well as I thought. I have constantly remarked that I am not much of a reader, I usually get bored reading..but I am having to correct myself I have discovered a book that really grabbed my attention and made me smile, I first saw a review about it over at Southern Lady's place and decide it looked interesting, I do love all things Mississippi, so I ordered it from Reed's Department Store, (there is also a poem about Reed's in the book) I received it in the mail this morning. It was raining and not much going on, so I curled up in a chair with a hot cup of coffee to read a few pages. Let me tell you I was not able to put it down. This book by Patricia Neely-Dorsey is one of the most interesting and entertaining books of Poems I have ever read, heck it's about the only book of poems I've read, most don't hold my interest long enough, but this little book of Poems about the South really touched home, so many of the stories, were me...All I had to do was look deep into my soul and it was me she was writing about.
You can find a preview of her book here.
SOUTHERN LIFE
If you want a glimpse of Southern life,
Come close and walk with me;
I'll tell you all the simple things,
That you are sure to see.
You'll see mockingbirds and bumblebees,
Magnolia blossoms and dogwood trees;
Caterpillars on the step,
Wooden porches cleanly swept
Watermelons on the vine,
Strong majestic Georgia pines
Turnip greens and.hot cornbread,
Coleslaw and barbecue
Fried okra, fried corn,fried green tomatoes
Fried pies and pickles too
There's ice cold tea that 's syrupy sweet
And cool, green grass beneath your feet
Catfish nipping in the lake
And fresh young boys on the make.
You'll see all these things
And much, much more
In a way of life, that I adore.
Copyright 2008 Patricia Neely-Dorsey
This is one of her first poems and it draws you into the book, once I read this I was hooked....
I am not a book reviewer and I can't tell you about the book in flowery language, I can only tell you how I feel and I feel this book is well worth reading whether you are from SC, MS or any other Southern State. Some of these poems will ring true to all of us North, South, East or West.....in a simple way. From her poem about Yardsaling, oh! does this one hit a happy note...lol...
Yardsaling
Yardsaling is a southern art,
And to some it's away of life;
It's a way of getting almost anything,
Without the stress and strife.
You meet all kinds of people,
And you see how others live;
And while the kids sell lemonade,
You negotiate what you'll give.
There's always a faithful crew,
That get up before the dawn;
To see what treasures they might fine,
On some neighbor's lawn.
There's much anticipation
Of the next bargain 'round the bend;
And everyone knows in yardsaling,
The possibilities never end.
There's always something
You've been searching for
Suddenly, staring you in the face;
And when your eyes lock on to it,
Your heart begins to race.
There's nothing like the yard sale game,
Or should I say the sport;
It quite easily becomes an addition,
If you're of that sort.
Or poems like The Country Breakfast, Partyline, how many of you remember the phone party line, she really hits the nail on the head in this one, I was back on Granny's farm on our 6 party phone line, that was our game on Sat morning listening to folks gossip...
Partyline
Do you remember
Picking up the phone...
"Excuse me"
Could I make a call, Please?"
Etc; etc;
Titles like
"Country Doctor"
"Neighborhood Groceries"
"Country Cures"
"Shelling Peas"
Making Crackling"
"Slopping Hogs"
Patricia is a lovely Lady who was born and raised in Mississippi, went to College in Boston but returned to her beloved State to live with her husband and son. I Found Patricia Monday on FaceBook an I must say she is such a sweet lady. We have so much in common...We share the same country roots and love for our State...
If you get a chance check out her little book of Poems about her heritage and childhood memories.

5 comments:

  1. Well there are many times I miss the South so bad I could cry. When mentions of cornbread and turnip greens bring tears to yr eyes you know you've been away too long. I will have to get her book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for such a wonderful review and for introducing my "little book of southern poems" to your readers in such a heartfelt way! I strive to make that personal connection beween myself and my readers in the book through the poems.
    I am so glad that I did with you .
    I always say that southerners have so much of a common thread running among us with so my shared experiences and remembrances no matter the age, color, state,backround ect.
    Thank you again..for such a lovely presentation of Reflections!
    It is greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting book Molly. Glad you are really enjoying it.

    Rain was great yesterday, we needed it so badly.

    Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOps Typo!! I meant so "many" shared experiences (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like I told my Grand for years ... if you are not an avid reader, you're not sampling enough books :) Saying you're not a reader is like saying you don't like ice cream after only trying vanilla.

    Very glad you found a book that spoke to you Molly --- and thanks for sharing (the Yardsaling brought back many happy memories )

    ReplyDelete

Little sweet memories whispered..