This is great with everything, including hot biscuits.
- 12 pounds firm pears, about 40, peeled, cored, quartered
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and quartered
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and quartered
- 2 pounds onions, about 7 to 8 medium, peeled and quartered
- 5 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spice (mix in with pears)
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- optional...if you like it hot or with a little kick to it, add a couple of hot peppers.
Preparation:Grind pears, onions, and bell peppers. Drain off all liquid. I use a food processor..
Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, pickling spices, and turmeric in a large kettle. Boil 10 minutes. Add ground fruit and vegetables; bring to a boil. Boil 15 minutes. Spoon into hot sterilized jars and seal quickly.
Process for 15 -20 minutes in a boiling-water canner,
Makes about six pints.
Serve with roasted or grilled meats.