Molly's Country Memories

Molly's Country Memories

The memories and happening in the everyday life of a country girl

Monday, May 10, 2010

ABC of food Monday

 This week I am joining the meme A-Z on Monday ~~ blogging our way through the alphabet~~ All About Food! at Unglazed, check out her blog for other foods starting with P this week...and of course I am running late.
Today I want to tell you how I make my homemade Potato Soup. It's so simple and soooooooo good. I like to use this as a soup course when I make Roast Beef and mixed veggies. Sometimes I just use little round bread bowls and we have it for supper on cold nights.. I don't have a picture but the recipe is simple, easy peasy...
Home-made potato soup 
Peel about 6 or 8 nice size red potatoes dice into medium size pieces, 
add to a large boiler cover with water and bring to a boil.
Add salt and pepper to taste
when tators feel soft when you stick them with a fork drain most of liquid off,  leave about 1 cup of liquid
Add 1/2 to 1 stick of butter ...I love the whole stick cause we like it rich.
add about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of milk reserving 1/2 cup milk. Add 1 tablespoon of flour into the reserved cold milk
when flour is desolved pour into potato mixture, let simmer till soup thickens to your liking. Stirring often
pour into individual bowl add pepper for looks and taste..
I like to fry a couple strips of bacon and crumble on top of each bowl. 
Ham cubes are also very good on top of these soup bowls
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do. It is simple, but pure heaven

7 comments:

  1. This is the wonderful stuff we always called "Stewed Potatoes" and left the hunks bigger, so as to serve it on a plate beside the peas and cornbread.

    It's also the soup where you give each child at the table a slice of cheese to unwrap and cut or bite into the shapes they want. They drop them into the bottom of the soupbowl, you ladle in the soup, and then they stir the melty cheese all through.

    Somehow the art was always stars or ducks, I remember.

    Quite a little tradition beginning with my Mammaw, and continued all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, second potato soup recipe that I've seen on the blogs today! This one looks yummy. It's cool here in Maryland today. Seems like a good day for this soup.
    Hope you had a good Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love potato soup!! There are so many varieties to try out there. Thank you for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Monday Molly
    I am going to try this one too!
    Love the bacon part. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good - My mother in law loves to go out to eat with us, and sometimes all she wants to order is...potato soup! She loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful! I know it would be delicious in a bread bowl.

    ReplyDelete

Little sweet memories whispered..