Molly's Country Memories

Molly's Country Memories

The memories and happening in the everyday life of a country girl

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Vintage Thingie Thursday

I am slowly getting back to posting, life is settling down a little around here, or rather, I am taking my life back a little at a time...lol..I haven't posted much on VTT lately because....well, I had just run out of ideas...but this last few weeks while cleaning out and straightening up, I decided to clean out my buffet in my Den. It in itself is a vintage treasure from my MIL...

And tucked away inside was my most valued treasure of all times. My Momma's silverware set, when we were little, Momma struggled to just feed and cloth us, but she always love pretty things, nice things. She found a silverware pattern she just loved called Precious and started saving and buying 1 piece at a time. Some times it would be a year before she could get just one piece. She called it her "ME treasure", something for herself that kept her going, gave her hope that life could and would be better. When Jim, my Brother got old enough to work he started buying her pieces until she had her whole set including the chest. He also, when he went to work full time, bought her a beautiful set of china. Which I will show you one day, I got the silverware and Sis got the china.
Over the years of traveling and moving with my Step-Dad the chest became tattered and worn so in the 70s after Mom passed and I received it, I redid the chest to match the period...oh good lord what did I ever see in the pattern to think it would work on a silver chest..lol..this was during MY Colonial period....
the inside is tattered and the knife holders are gone, I plan to redo it one day but for right now I leave it as is....if you look close in the right hand corner you will see a baby spoon that was mine a gift to Momma from her big Brother uncle Reggie before I was born.....and I used it with all 3 of my boys.
another view showing the knives also...

Well that's my trip down memory lane for this week, so happy to have y'all travel back with me
hope everyone has a blessed week.
HOPE YOU ENJOYED MY VINTAGE THINGIES! SEE YOU NEXT WEEK!

19 comments:

  1. Just beautiful silverware! That is definitely a store of courage and perseverance. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful memory of your Mom. Love the silverware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That buffet is the same idea as one my parents had. Different design but the same arrangement of doors and drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for your mom, to collect that lovely silverware. Something for herself to brighten a very hard life!

    I love the eagle you put on the chest. Guess I am STILL in my colonial period!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful buffet and the silver is a treasure to have. Nice they come with memories. Funny how we have our different decorating phases. I sure went through a few myself. Good VTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty pattern. Obviously your mom had to work hard to put this set together and so the appreciation is so much greater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bet it brought some memories back to you - feeding all three of your children with it - what an awesome memory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, wonderful memories! I think those kinds of things are such treasures. I love the buffet too - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What could be better than to have such treasures, family bound, and with all those memories attached.
    Love your roosters, your painting is incredible!
    The old buffet is cool too. You have treasures everywhere, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful memory of your Mom!!! We Moms seem to love to create beautiful things and occasions for our children---that's as much nourishment as the suppers we share.

    And I LOVE that she had the iced-tea spoons!!! So many sets are missing those, or just didn't think them necessary, anyway. I wonder---in the long time it took to acquire the set piece by piece, were they, along with the meat fork, sugar shell, cake server and cocktail forks, the last things on the list?

    ReplyDelete
  11. something happened to my first post, hopefully this isn't a duplicate :)
    The siver set is beautiful. Since it was your Mom's, what a treasure. Love the roosters too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love that eagle on there, but I guess I love anything that is red, white and blue! I really enjoyed your whole story here, especially how your Mom would buy the silverware, a piece at a time, and called it her ME treasure! I think everyone should be able to do that, and it sounds like it wasn't easy for her. Thanks for sharing this great story!
    Happy VTT!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. The silverware is beautiful and so is the buffet...how great you have something so special that belonged to your mom. The story was very touching. Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Molly, I love the silverware and the meaningful story behind it. A treasure beyond words. I love the colonial look. The buffet has lots of interesting things too.

    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. What beautiful silverware. What a precious family heirloom.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a neat collection of silverware!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Molly, the silverware is a beautiful pattern, and the memories that go with it make it a special treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful story. Truly precious.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your buffet and silverware! precious! thanks for sharing.. have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Little sweet memories whispered..